Masculine noun · A root word
An intercessor, consoler:—advocate, comforter.
- summoned, called to one's side, esp. called to one's aid
- one who pleads another's cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant, an advocate
- one who pleads another's cause with one, an intercessor
- of Christ in his exaltation at God's right hand, pleading with God the Father for the pardon of our sins
- in the widest sense, a helper, succourer, aider, assistant
- of the Holy Spirit destined to take the place of Christ with the apostles (after his ascension to the Father), to lead them to a deeper knowledge of the gospel truth, and give them divine strength needed to enable them to undergo trials and persecutions on behalf of the divine kingdom